A first glimpse of Grenada the spice island

After a rather slow sail from Sandy Island we arrived at Grenada and Sauteurs bay. Sauteurs isn’t one of the popular cruising bays on Grenada and we were the only tourists in town. During our second day we went for a walk around the north eastern part of Grenada. On our way we passed through the Levera National park which consists of a few different places that are nearby each other. First up were Levera beach from which you can see Sugar loaf, an island a small distance from the coast. But that’s absolutely not the most interesting thing about the beach. The beach is guarded around the clock and is a protected and popular nesting ground for the leatherback turtle. We have come across some different turtles on our trip but we haven’t seen any of these impressive turtles. The leatherback can weigh up to 900 kg and is really big. So we decided to go back during the next night, to hopefully see one.

Meanwhile we continued our walk along the coast. We did a quick attempt to go to Bedford point on the north east corner of the island. It didn’t go as planned since it was pretty privatized and the amount of mosquitos had dramatically increased. Me and Hanna pretty much panicked and ran back to the main street where it was a bit less dense with mosquitos. After some heavy usage of mosquito spray we visited Levera pond a very red pond with a lot of birds and fishes. We manage to see some fishes and a big ass spider. We quickly moved on to the next beach.

We now sat down and had lunch break before moving on to the sulphur springs. This is a place where people pay to be transformed into Shrek and Fiona with the help of sulphur rich clay that a guy happily helps you to apply. The main caretaker informed us that it helped for all the skin conditions we happened to have. Since we weren’t in a mood to smell rotten eggs we happily neglected the offer and walked home.

In our attempt to see the leatherback turtle we got up in the middle of the night and walked back to the beach. Only to find it deserted. Well we spent the few last hours until dawn at the beach. We then decided to continue rather than going back to the boat and sleep. So we started walking south to take a nap on the next beach (the one with Wi-Fi). Since the new beach had a pretty good Wi-Fi coverage we could plan our early morning adventure. The beach was pretty crowded so we guess that the Saturday morning swims are a regular thing around here. We discovered on Google that the watermill run rum distillery supposedly were open so we started to walk towards it and on our way we passed by the iconic Lake Antoine. When we arrived to the distillery we discovered that it was sort of open and we spent a while exploring the surroundings on our own. After we had a look around without being stopped by anyone we decided to continue our morning stroll that by this time had been going on for a lot longer than previously planned. After a while we intercepted the bus route back to Sauters so we ended up on a bus back. Well back at Sauters it was time for lunch and we were starving so we decided to try some of the local wraps for lunch (Roti) which is a tasty flatbread wrapped around curried meat/fish/or chicken and vegetables.

After lunch we set sail south towards Halifax a bay on the west coast of Grenada. Halifax isn’t the most glorious of bays since there is a dump in the south end and that increases the amount of flies and bugs onboard. In total we spent three nights in Halifax before we left for St Georges. But before that we went explore the water falls at Concord falls. The Concord falls where a bit of a hike away from the boat but luckily, as soon as we left the main road we got accompanied by one of the best behaved and kind dog I have ever met. He followed us all the way up to the first fall where they have some small shops and tourist attractions. They also had two monkeys in a cage which seemed a bit sad. Hanna did however touch one of the monkeys and did a mixed expression of happiness and shock. This expression was then mirrored upon one of the monkeys as he petted the dog with the exact same reaction.

Before we continued to the upper falls we were told by the guard that, since it was Sunday he were alone and couldn’t launch a rescue mission for us. That meant that we had to turn around as soon as it started to rain. Luckily for us it didn’t and we could walk the entire way up. It was on this smaller path I started to have a bit of an issue with our local guide the dog. He refused to go ahead of me and he weren’t able to keep a sufficient distance behind me. This meant that every time I had to take a smaller or longer step to adapt for the not so flat path he ended up putting his pawns in my slipper which tripped me even worse. Well up at the fall we had a swim in the cold and refreshing freshwater. Although we had not been so fresh for a long time it didn’t last long. A few kilometers on the way down we were already soaked with rain and sweat. You could really notice that the rainy season had started. Later that week we sailed down to the capital of Grenada, St. Georges where I were to leave for my trip to Sweden and the others to stay during the festival and the rest of hurricane season.

Over and out Anders

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s